*Our Story*

This is the ramblings of a Marine Wife, Mommy, and Gym rat. Home is where the Marine Corps sends us. NC -> TX -> CA. Welcome to my sometimes stressful, mostly crazy, but always beautiful life.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy 2 years to my Hero..

          
        19 year old, newly single, me had just moved into my very own, 1 bedroom apartment in the West End of Richmond. It was a tiny apartment, but it was mine... and I was independent. I moved into my apartment the 1st of July 2008. That summer I worked 2 jobs. I worked in an office as a receptionist 5 days a week, and I was a lifeguard on the weekends. I worked 7 days a week, but I loved the money. That July 4th, my older sister invited me to spend the holiday with her then boyfriend. I wasn't so sure that would be a blast, but she assured me it would be a good time, and 2 cute Marines would be there. Ohhh, what could it hurt? ;) I was single, and we all love a man in uniform. They had just returned from Iraq in April, and I figured it would be interesting. I went with my sister downtown, carrying my jose cuervo and margarita mix in hand. When I walked into the door, I immediately locked eyes with Adam. There was another Marine there, but I didn't even notice him. I'm not one of those people who believe in love at first sight, so I won't say that's what it was. It was more an infatuation. He was adorable, buff, and had rosy cheeks. Ohh, I love rosy cheeks. We flirted, and then we all went to see fireworks. My sister and I kept quoting the quote from pearl harbor, "dry your eyes toots, tonight your mine." Adam probably thought I was nuts, but he's known that's how I am from day 1 and he loves me anyway. He held my hand through the fireworks which is juvenile but I thought was cute. We shared our first kiss, and then he asked me on a date. So,the next night we went on a date, and he asked me to go out with him the next night too. I guess he wanted to go on as many dates before he was back in Camp Lejeune. We had a great weekend, and then when he was heading back to Camp Lejeune he said he would call me. I didn't really expect him to call. I just figured it was a sweet little weekend romance. Well, he called me, and I was hesitant to chat. Honestly, I told him that I wasn't sure about dating a Marine. I knew he would deploy and leave me for months, and i wasn't sure I could handle that. Basically, he told me either I could try or "stop wasting his time." Ouch, but I liked the spunk. Okay, finnne. 2 weekends later I drove my happy butt down to Camp Lejeune, and we traveled back and forth for months. In October, we split up. We jumped into a relationship fast, and we were both unsure. That is when I knew that I was actually in love with him, and he knew he felt the same. I cried for days. I couldn't believe how I felt about him. The next weekend he drove to VA so we could figure everything out. We decided to really give it a shot, and our relationship grew stronger from the split. That January, Adam proposed to me at the Tobacco Company in Richmond, VA. Our favorite restaurant. That May, we prepared for Adam's deployment. He was gone for 7 months, and again, my heart shattered. I knew this would prepare me for being a Marine Wife, and this deployment would either seal our promise or end us. Well, a couple months in the deployment, I knew I could do this. I love him, and the deployment only strengthened what we had. That deployment, I finished college, planned our wedding for Feb. 13, 2010, and built our first home. Adam came home in early December, and the Homecoming was more than I could have ever imagined. It was magical, and I felt like a little kid on Christmas the night before he came home. I ran and jumped in his arms!! I graduated from VCU the next weekend, and then we only had our wedding left before we embarked on our adventure together. On January 13, Adam called me to inform me that I need to make sure I have my Social Security Card and ID ready. Haiti had a horrible earthquake, and his unit was going to be sent to Haiti to help with the relief. He wanted to get married the next day before he left. My heart sank, but I knew that again, I had made the decision back in July of 2008 to be a Marine Wife, and this was only the first of many obstacles we would face as a military couple. SO, I sucked it up, called my mom, she called the wedding venue, caterer, etc and we postponed the original wedding. January 14, 2010 Adam and I got married in the Jacksonville, NC courthouse. Oh it was lovely. There was a giant pile of barf directly outside of the Magistrate's office. Oh well, we were so giddy. No matter what, I was marrying my best friend. I knew we would eventually get "our day," but these people in Haiti needed him more than I did. I needed to support him and show him that I can handle hurdles in our marriage, and that being a Marine Wife is more than a title. We got champagne and had our first dance in our very own kitchen that night. We were husband and wife! Adam never went to Haiti, but he was on standby for months. FINALLY, he was taken off standby and on March 20 we had our beautiful special wedding day! Amazingly, all of our original vendors were available for that beautiful 70 degree (almost) spring day. We had a honeymoon in Kauai, and it was wonderful. We now have "3" potential anniversaries. We joke that we will celebrate which ever one we can if he isn't gone! Last year, we missed all 3! haha, so this is the first year we get to spend this day together, and this year we have an adorable little boy that proves the love we have for each other. I cannot Thank Adam enough for being such an amazing husband to me. He proves to me every day how lucky I am to have him. These past 2 years have been the best 2 years of my entire life. I married the man of my dreams, and now we have a son. I love you Adam!







3 comments:

  1. I'm very happy to have finally heard your whole story (Adam's version is much shorter). Congrats to two years together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!!!! This post had me all teary! So sweet! It also sounds a bit similar to my story. My husband and I started dating in 2008 (march), got engaged only six months later, married a little Over a year after that ( also in January) and just celebrated our 2nd Anniversary! Oh AND were'nt our babies born just a few weeks apart! Haha!


    Anyway, I hope you and your Husband enjoy spending this Anniversary together! Thank you for the sacrifice you have to make do that your husband can do what he does. What he does is much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly!
    Amber, that is tooo funny! :) Happy anniversary to you as well!

    ReplyDelete