*Our Story*

This is the ramblings of a Marine Wife, Mommy, and Gym rat. Home is where the Marine Corps sends us. NC -> TX -> CA. Welcome to my sometimes stressful, mostly crazy, but always beautiful life.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Let's talk diapers..

    

   I can't stop raving about the bumGenius 4.0 snap diapers. I've been using them for about a month now, and just LOVE them. I posted about them after I only had them a few days, and I still feel the same about them. In fact, I love them more. Let me break it down..

Closures
    The diapers I ordered have snaps. You can decide between snaps or hooks&loops. I only know about the snaps, but I love them. The diapers are one size and will very much fit a newborn - toddler. The snaps adjust down and across, so that as your baby grows, your diaper grows too. The snaps are secure on the diaper and have not budged since I've been washing them everyday. I read that the hooks&loops are easier for a squirmy baby, but Connor is very, very squirmy and the snaps are so easy. Way easier than disposables. That was quite the challenge.
Colors
     There are plenty of colors to choose from, and they are adorable. The good thing about the bumGenius diapers is that you don't have to buy diaper covers. You can if you want to, but you don't need to. Connor has dark blue, baby blue, dark green, lime green, yellow, orange, white, beige, etc. The pictures online are pretty exact to what you see when you open your diapers. I was really impressed. I've also noticed that the colors have not faded at all after washing them A LOT. 

Fit
    Connor is a big 4 month old. He is 25 inches long and weights about 17 lbs. So, he's my chunky monkey, and these diapers fit perfectly on his little behind. My friend, Kelly, has a 2 month old who is 25 inches long and is 12 lbs, and these diapers also fit him perfectly. So, these diapers fit all different sized babies. The diaper is also elastic so that as your baby grows, the diaper stretches! 

The inner layer
     The microfiber inserts are incredibly soft and absorbent. It's amazing to me how much these pieces of fabric can absorb. Each diaper comes with 2 inserts (one big insert and one newborn sized insert). During the day, I use the big insert. At night I use the big insert and the newborn sized insert in one diaper (I also make the diaper a little bit bigger so that it isn't squeezing Connor). The inserts dry quickly too, and I haven't had a single stain on any of my inserts!
Durability
      The bumGenius diapers are very durable. I have 12 with the intention of getting about 6 more to add to my stash. I haven't seen a flaw in any of my 12 diapers since I've had them. Like I said, I wash them everyday and they are all very much intact. With 18, I think I can wash every other day and help them last longer, but I foresee these diapers definitely lasting me through Connor's diaper days and possibly even the next baby. They recommend 24 or more diapers, but the bumGenius 4.0 (especially with snaps) are very well designed. I don't see the need in 24 after the Newborn stage.
Leakage
    When I used disposables, we had a lot of trouble with leaks. I know the diapers were on securely, but Connor is a heavy wetter and he would pee through disposables. I've had my bumGenius diapers for a month and I have not a single leak!!! Even at nights. I double stuff his diapers, but I don't change it until morning, so he can go as long as 10 hours without a diaper change with no leaks! I have seen his inserts completely soaked with pee, but no leaks! 
Washing  
    When I first started using the diapers, I was just using Dreft baby detergent to wash them. It did fine, but I did my research, and I decided to switch to the ALL Small & mighty free and clear... it was great at first but caused buildup, sooo NOW I ordered the bumGenius detergent. $11.95, no tax, & free shipping on cottonbabies.com. 66 loads too! I advise to just buy the correct detergent. Saves you a lot of time & money! Besides, what is the difference if there is no tax, and shipping is free? Also, The Dreft has ingredients that can cause your diapers to break down. I would prefer my diapers to last me as long as possible. Washing is easy. I do a Cold Rinse, Hot Wash, and another Cold Rinse. I, then, hang up the diapers and throw the inserts into the dryer, and the diapers dry really quickly.
Smell 
    I haven't had any issues with smell. Dreft did make the diapers smell "sweeter." But, they have never smelled bad. Laundry build up can apparently cause the diapers to smell, that is why I do 2 rinses. Honestly, when Connor poops, I can't even smell it, (and he's on solids now)! In fact, My mother wanted to know if Connor was wet and couldn't tell with these diapers, so I stuck my finger in there... well, he had pooped. Lovely! haha 
Price

    bumGenius 4.0 are $17.95 a diaper. It seems a little expensive, but to put in perspective, I have 12 diapers equaling out to about $215. I did get mine on sale and saved money, so I spent $173 for 12 diapers. (You can usually find a sale going on). If I get 6 more, I will have spent a total of $281. Over the course of your child's diaper days, you spend at least $4,000. The average family with a baby spends about $2,000 a year in diapers. So, I'm saving at least $3,700. It seems like a lot because it is money up front, but in the long run, you are saving sooo much money. Besides, you are doing something wonderful for the environment. It's win-win.


Convenience
    Go ahead and say it, "ewww gross" you touch your baby's poop. All I have to say to that is, "Did you give birth? Because it doesn't get more ' eww gross ' than that." It is really NOT that bad. Poop rinses off the diaper very easily. These diapers do not inconvenience me at all. I am a stay at home mom, so I am the one who is usually dealing with the poop diapers, but my husband has cleaned one or two poop diapers and it does not bother him. I did order flushable diaper liners. They are so wonderful! The liners make going out in public so easy. You place them in your diaper and it catches the poop. So, when you are out in public, cleanup is not a hassle at all.. and they flush! Talk about easy. I do recommend the flushable liners for "outings." It was $12 for 200, and I only use them when I go out. I fully expect them to last me at least 6 months.

Rash
    Connor has sensitive skin, and he hasn't had a rash at all with these diapers. At all. I do lather up the buttpaste if he poops, before bed, and when I put a liner in his diaper, but the pee doesn't touch his skin. It's pretty great. He's happy, I'm happy, my husband's happy :) It's a beautiful thing.


Okay, so there you go. I hope this helps mommas who want to try the diapers and possibly convinces mommas who think we're just nuts!!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you tried these out so I know what to use when I eventually have a wee bairn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am. These diapers are the best ever!

    ReplyDelete