*Our Story*

This is the ramblings of a Marine Wife, Mommy, and Gym rat. Home is where the Marine Corps sends us. NC -> TX -> CA. Welcome to my sometimes stressful, mostly crazy, but always beautiful life.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

I've been busy...

        Before I had Connor, it never crossed my mind to use cloth diapers or make homemade baby food. I figured I would use disposables, buy baby food, and keep on keepin' on. I wouldn't turn into "that" mother who is all about what is "best" for baby and the environment. Well Hi, I am now "that" mother and damn proud of it. But, I will say that I am "that" mother who is a stay at home mother, so I do have the time to make Connor's food and scrape poop off of his diapers. I love every minute of it all! As you know, Connor's pediatrician wanted me to start him on solids, as in vegetables and fruits, a month ago. I wasn't comfortable with it, I thought it was too early, so I just started oatmeal and threw in some apples a couple weeks ago. Connor will be 5 months this week, so I have slowly, slowly been introducing more fruits with his oatmeal.  Yesterday I had this itch to cook fall recipes, so I packed up Connor and we drove off to the new Kroger Marketplace down the road (which is now my favorite grocery store, EVER). While I was there, I thought I might pick up some pears, bananas, and avocados and try to make Connor some food. I also got butternut squash and other goodies, but moving on. I have 2 food processors, so the baby bullet just doesn't seem to be a necessity. I cut, pitted, and peeled the pears and stuck them in the food processor, and wahlah... baby pears. I did the same with avocados. So easy... so much cheaper. Last night Connor had avocados, and he LOVED them. It is amazing what research can do too. I really didn't know that avocados are GREAT first foods for baby until I did some research. A lot of doctors prefer mothers try to feed babies avocados even before rice cereal because it is soft, easy to digest and easy on the tummy, and so healthy for baby. I froze the pears and avocados, and I am introducing avocados this week. Each week I introduce a new food. So far Connor has tried apples, bananas, and avocados. Next week I will try pears. This morning I made Connor fresh bananas too! Again, he loved them. There's a great website,  www.wholesmomebabyfood.momtastic.com. It tells you what foods your baby can eat at his/her age, and it also tells you whether or not buying organic is advised for that certain food. So far, I haven't needed to buy organic. The foods that Connor is on now at his age don't really need to be steamed. Atleast not what I have been introducing. Yesterday, I also developed my own recipe for butternut squash soup, and it is SO good. I had turkey pasta in the crock pot, and I also made some chocolate marshmallow bark. YUM. I love fall!




I love my child :)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh thanks for that link! our pediatrician told us we could start with foods too if we wanted (daughter just turned 4 months) I don't think we are ready for it yet, so were going to wait til next month I think. But I am very interested in making the food for her, so thanks so much for the link! Connor is so adorable! and getting so big! Feels like just yesterday we were on B&B, excited about our pregnancies! So much fun being a Mommmy!

    Amber
    http://carrieradventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I love that site, and it has fun recipes for when they get older and you can add stuff. Thank you :) He IS getting so big. Crazy how time flies!

    ReplyDelete