*Our Story*

This is the ramblings of a Marine Wife, Mommy, and Gym rat. Home is where the Marine Corps sends us. NC -> TX -> CA. Welcome to my sometimes stressful, mostly crazy, but always beautiful life.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

I love my bumGenius!



    Okay ladies, the plan was to wait a week to post about the cloth diapers because I wanted to wait until Connor pooped in them and then if he pooped in them while I was in public... and he doesn't poop much. Well, to my surprise and my such luck, Connor pooped while I was out today! LOL Luckily, I was at a good friend's house and she uses cloth diapers too, but it was still an experience. First off, when Connor pees in his bumGenius, the pee doesn't get on his skin! The cloth insert absorbs it all. It is great. I was nervous about that, but so far so good.  I change his diaper about every 3 hours when he just pees since he isn't "newborn" anymore, and that seems to be fine. I change him first and then I rinse out the insert and ring it out really well. I don't usually rinse the actual diaper since it doesn't get wet! Then I just put it in the diaper pail. Arm&Hammer makes little discs that you can put in the nursery, diaper bags, or diaper pail, and they work wonders. Just a FYI. Pee diapers are really simple. As for the poop diapers. Not quite as much fun, lol, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. I changed Connor first and then pulled out the insert and rinsed that off. Then rinse off the actual diaper because, unfortunately, the insert doesn't absorb the poop, lol. You can rinse off the poop diapers in the tub. That is where I will do it at home. Connor's poops aren't solid, so it's easy to just rinse it off. When your baby's poop becomes more solid I imagine you can dump most of it in the toilet and rinse off the rest. When in public, it would be best to find a personal bathroom with a sink to rinse it off there. Yeah, it's gross, but it really isn't as bad as you think. You can also try to use a water bottle, and when all else fails you can just dunk it in the toilet. You're going to wash it anyway. A waterproof bag is a must, and that is on my list to buy! Another great item is the bumGenius Odor Remover spray. You can get it online and it's only like $5. Worth every penny for when you need to spray it in public or even at home if it is really stinky. I plan on putting an Arm&Hammer disc in the waterproof bag too. At night, I double up the inserts and make the diaper size a little bigger since Connor is sleeping 6-8 hours at a time now. When you go to wash your diapers, it is pretty simple. I do a COLD rinse, HOT wash, COLD rinse. In that order. I read that detergent build up can cause the diapers to start smelling, so the rinses are necessary. Plus, detergent build up can cause the diapers to leak too! So, only use about HALF the detergent you would use on a SMALL load of baby laundry. I have been using Dreft, but I know ALL free and clear is good too. Basically any detergent that is safe for baby and is dye free, perfume free, etc. I hang dry the diapers and tumble dry the inserts. The diapers dry faster if you lay them out in the sun. AND if your diapers have stains on them then I read the sun will remove the stains. But, honestly, the diapers don't seem to stain with the poop. (Even breastmilk poop that seems to stain everything!) For diaper rashes, they say to use a "barrier" between the rash cream and the diaper... but I don't. They are diapers and if you see a little stain from rash cream, then whatever... it's on his booty! haha Right now I have 6 diapers, but 6 more have been shipped out to me (thanks to my amazing mother)! 12 diapers will allow me to only wash once a day instead of twice a day, and that is perfect :) So, the verdict is that I LOVE bumGenius. They are easy, and not that inconvenient, even in public. I definately recommend them to all of you mommys to try. Connor seems to love them too. They seem really comfortable, and he doesn't have any sort of rash at all. Good Luck :)


No comments:

Post a Comment