*Our Story*

This is the ramblings of a Marine Wife, Mommy, and Gym rat. Home is where the Marine Corps sends us. NC -> TX -> CA. Welcome to my sometimes stressful, mostly crazy, but always beautiful life.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Trials and Tribulations

      When it comes to being a mommy, we all have our weak moments. Every stage brings new challenges, and just when you think you have your baby all figured out, they change their ways; whether it's nap time (CONNOR), transitioning to solid foods, teething, learning how to crawl, walk, or talk back! We got off track with Connor's naps and bedtime schedule last week, and it has been miserable getting him back on track. It doesn't help that he's getting older, so I'm trying to adjust his naps and bedtime according to how much sleep he needs. He just isn't tired or fussy at bedtime. Usually, I can say, "well, he's really fussy so I know he's exhausted." But, he isn't even fussy. He's hyper! This kid jumps up and down in his bed so much that the springs are squeaking now! So frustrating (but hilarious at the same time, lol). This week has been an experiment for me. I tried the 1 nap a day thing on Monday, and it worked well. He slept from 11-1 and went to bed at 7. Tuesday, it didn't work. So, yesterday we went back to 2 naps and it worked well, but he went to bed at 8. I guess I just have to let him push bedtime back to 8, until he is able to make it through the day with 1 nap. I've started watching a little 3 year old girl at nights for a few hours, and she is usually here past 8, so bedtime is a challenge, but Connor is almost always asleep by 8.
     That has been our challenge, but as I've been talking to other mommas who have asked me for advice about their newborns, I have been thinking back to when Connor was a newborn. I can remember rocking him at night and him screaming... and I would just cry. Connor had acid reflux, and he also had a really sensitive tummy. All around, he was just a fussy newborn, but as each month passed, he seemed to get better. But, as he got better with his reflux and tummy issues, we faced new challenges. Our main problem was forming a schedule. If I could go back, I would have gotten him on a strict schedule from the beginning. I swear it does wonders! But, my point is that you are going to be faced with challenges at every stage, heck every day is a challenge in my house! Pray for patience, and know that it is okay to feel defeated, exhausted, and weak. It's okay to cry. Cry, take a deep breath, and continue to be the amazing mother that you are. You wouldn't be a great mom without trials and tribulations, but when you overcome them, I promise you that it is worth it. I look at Connor, and I vaguely remember the times when I would cry because he wouldn't stop crying, but I do completely remember the first smiles, coos, and giggles. So, to all you brand new mommas out there, you will make it through this stage, and it just keeps getting better and better.



4 comments:

  1. Well said girlfriend! That's the beauty of it all! The Lord allows us to really only remember all the good things or we wouldn't have anymore bahaha! Love his sweet smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how relieved I am to read this. I am part of a huge group who all just had babies and they all keep posting how wonderful and perfect their kids are all the time... Calder and I are going through what you described. He has a very sensitive tummy and reflux and I have spent most of the first two months bouncing pacing and rocking while we both cried lol. He's doing much better now but it was soooo hard at first and very frustrating to feel alone when everyone else had happy sleeping babies. So it's nice to read this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very tough. I breastfed, but a few nights I called Adam on his way home from work and said "BRING ME A MOMMY DRINK!" haha I used to get so jealous of the mom's who had babies who slept and hardly fussed, but there are a lot of other people out there who have fussy babies! You are NOT alone! If you ever need to talk, message me! I know how it feels, but like I said.. it only gets better, and Calder will also get better! Connor's reflux is almost gone, and his tummy is like steal now :)The Kid eats anything! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete