*Our Story*

This is the ramblings of a Marine Wife, Mommy, and Gym rat. Home is where the Marine Corps sends us. NC -> TX -> CA. Welcome to my sometimes stressful, mostly crazy, but always beautiful life.

Friday, December 2, 2011

A different kind of love.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/loving-husband-more-kids-key-good-life-181900983.html

    If you have the time, you should click on the link above and read the article. The title bothers me, "loving the husband more than the kids," but once I started reading it, I understood why it has that title. No, I don't think that a woman should love her husband more than the kids, but I also don't think that a woman should put all of her focus on her children, so much that she neglects the need of her husband. (And this goes both ways for the husband too)! The article is very eye-opening, especially to new parents (atleast it is to me). Adam and I have put our relationship on the back burner over the past 7 months since Connor was born. We aren't having any problems or anything, but we are putting all of our energy into Connor, and we aren't making enough time for each other. Even after Connor goes to sleep, we are exhausted and just hit the lights and fall asleep most nights. I had Adam read the article last night, and we decided to really put more energy in our marriage. Like the article says, "your husband is there in the beginning, and once the kids are out of the house, it's back to the 2 of you." So many marriages fail because couples don't know each other after the kids leave the house and because as the kids grow older, the husband and wife put so much effort in raising their kids, they forget to put effort in their marriage. Being a mother comes so naturally to me, and being a father is also very natural for Adam. But, being a wife and husband takes work. I don't love Adam more than Connor or Connor more than Adam, I just love them differently. It's a different kind of love. Take time for your marriage. Physically and emotionally because you will notice that the happiness in your marriage reflects on you as a parent.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, thanks for sharing! Definitely something my husband and I have been talking about lately as well. And gorgeous photos! I will have to read the article, but for now, its bed time while the little one is sleeping too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes sense because it's the way God intended it. He said to prioritize God, Husband (or Wife), then children. It's hard to do but it works! Good article.

    ReplyDelete