*Our Story*

This is the ramblings of a Marine Wife, Mommy, and Gym rat. Home is where the Marine Corps sends us. NC -> TX -> CA. Welcome to my sometimes stressful, mostly crazy, but always beautiful life.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Traveling with a baby.

     It's travel season for the Hill folk, ya'll. In a few short weeks, my little family will be flying to upstate NY to visit my husband's family for a week. This includes my 14 month old son. Since Connor was born, I have flown with him over FIVE times ALONE, and that is only one way. So including trips back, we have suffered through security at least TEN times. We are quite the little professional flyers. I traveled with him for the first time when he was 2 months old, and the last time we flew, he was almost 1 year old and walking. So, I've experienced all stages of baby through toddler on a plane. Not something I recommend people trying out for fun :) Let me take a moment, however, to praise my sweet boy for his great flying efforts. He really does a magnificent job for the most part... he has let out a few squeals that  led to some deathly stares, but what can you do?! I thought, since I am obviously a professional at traveling with a baby, I would share a few tips that could save people from the stress, embarrassment, and emotional breakdowns that I wish someone could have saved me from!

     -When you travel with an infant, be sure that your flight itinerary shows that you are, in fact, traveling with an infant. If you have already purchased a ticket and forgot to add your baby, simply call the airline and they will add your baby for you. Simple. It takes about 5 minutes, and it saves you stress at the airport. (I've actually never forgotten to add him before arriving to the airport, but I have had to call the airline to have him added as a lap infant).
     - Car seats. I've had to check Connor's car seat twice, and the airline ticket counter provided the plastic bag to keep your car seat clean and checking the car seat is free. Now, both times I checked Connor's car seat, it got lost. IF and when your car seat gets lost, don't panic too much. It sucks, but the airline will provide you with a safe car seat for your child. They give you the car seat, take down your information, and they bring you the car seat to your home when it is found and you swap out the car seat that you borrowed. It's annoying, but you won't have to drive down the road with your baby in your lap (not that ANYONE would do that..)
    - Wrap or stroller. I have done both. When Connor was 2 months old and still in his travel system, I pushed him in that right up to the gate. It was also great to do that because I didn't have to check the car seat since it was attached to the stroller :) The travel system also held all my bags. When Connor got older, I used the moby wrap, and it was great for the non-stop flights. If you have a non-stop flight or a longer layover, the wrap will be great. One time I had a very quick layover, and I literally had to run from gate A to E. For those flights, I recommend the umbrella stroller (when your child is big enough). The umbrella strollers are quick to fold and unfold and they're very lightweight. Just make sure, whatever method you use to carry around your child, that you are comfortable. If you are uncomfortable, you are going to be absolutely miserable.
     - Formula, BM, food, etc. You can take however much formula, BM, food, etc. that you need for your baby through security. If your baby is on formula, I HIGHLY recommend that you buy the 6 pack of 8 oz ready to feed formula. It will make your life MUCH easier. I did carry empty dr. brown bottles because Connor had bad gas as a baby, but if your baby doesn't have those problems, you can screw a nipple right onto the ready to feed bottle. It's awesome. The first time I traveled, I took powder formula and water in his bottles. Disaster. The water spilled in my carry on, and I kept spilling the powder formula. If you breastfeed, you can take your breastmilk in the bottles through security. If it were me, I would just use a cover up and feed your baby on the plane (definitely during take off and landing)! For take off and landing, make sure you are either giving your baby a bottle or a pacifier. It helps keep their ears from popping.
    - TSA. When you get to the front of the line, just let them know you have formula, water, or BM in bottles. They have to "check" it but it isn't a big deal. (They will not open sealed ready to eat formula). Also, everything you have to take off of yourself, you also have to take off of baby. Save yourself the trouble and don't put shoes on your baby before you go through security. TSA will take your stroller and help you through. Take your time and don't stress about the people behind you. Especially if you are traveling alone.
    - Toys. I take a few toys, but Connor is never very interested in toys on the plane. But, do you know what he IS interested in? Everything else that nasty germ-y people touch. So, have PLENTY of anti-bacterial hand gel! If your baby does take a pacifier, use a shirt clip, so if your baby spits out their pacifier, it won't land on that nasty plane floor. I won't even tell you how I learned that one...
    - Diapers. I use cloth diapers, and I have used cloth diapers when I have traveled on an airplane. Honestly, it is do-able, but I have only done it once. When you are rushed to change your baby ON the airplane, right before you board, or on the floor of the airport because some lady let her CAT pee on the changing table, you will switch to disposables while traveling. :) I've changed Connor on the toilet lid of an airplane when he was 1 year old and obviously too big to be on the lid of that toilet seat... but you do what you have to do. Don't stress about it because it is beyond your control. When you gotta go, you gotta go, right?!
      - Don't forget a blanket. When Connor was really small, I even took his boppy to lay him on in my lap. It was great! :) I always, always take a blanket. Planes get cold, and it is more cozy for him.

Most of all, try not to stress. If your baby is cranky, that is just the way life goes. If you have any questions just leave a comment :) Happy travels!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh I'm glad you wrote this!!! I still need to add Sophia to our flight. I am going to FB message you with a couple other questions!!

    ReplyDelete