*Our Story*

This is the ramblings of a Marine Wife, Mommy, and Gym rat. Home is where the Marine Corps sends us. NC -> TX -> CA. Welcome to my sometimes stressful, mostly crazy, but always beautiful life.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Birth of Isabelle Mae pt. 1


       The story of my VBA2C (vaginal birth after 2 cesarean sections) begins with the birth stories of my 2 c section babies.
       Connor is my first baby, now 4 almost 5. When I was pregnant with Connor, I had no idea that I needed to be educated about birth. Women have been doing this forever, right? Why do I need to take a class? I can just wing it. Well, Connor came at 35 weeks, and not because I went in to spontaneous labor. When I was 35 weeks, I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and a suspected pulmonary embolism. My doctor came in armed with the anasthesiologist to talk to me about induction, or talk me out of it I should say. They told me that they could induce me, but I would just end up needing a c section anyway, and I would be exhausted. He then proceeded to tell me about his wife who was up and walking around the neighborhood days after. "It's no big deal." So, I agreed to the c section. Well, after my c section I ended up in the ICU for 3 days, and my baby was taken to the NICU for 9 days. It was the most heart wrenching experience. I had 10 blood transfusions due to hemorrhage, and I didn't hold Connor until he was over 24 hours old. We weren't sure more kids were in our future.

     Fast forward 15 months, and a new doctor. I loved my doctor with Austin. He was comforting, and believed in me. BUT, he didn't allow VBACs. Honestly, I didn't really care. I had a lot of anxiety throughout my pregnancy with Austin. Constantly checking my blood pressure and praying the events of the repeat c section didn't turn out the same. I can honestly say that Austin's birth was pretty healing. Recovery was so much easier, and I was able to nurse him as soon as we were in recovery together. I still hated the fact that I wasn't the first person to love on my baby.

      Isabelle Mae

     When I got pregnant with our Izzy Mae, I hadn't even thought about the birth. I assumed I would have another c section until my first appointment at the Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton. The doctor asked me if I wanted a VBAC or a repeat c section. I immediately blurted out VBAC! When I left the appointment I called Adam and told him we were having a VBAC and I needed to interview doulas. When I got home I started with the research. I did hours and hours of research over the 9 months. We weighed the risks vs benefits and educated ourselves. When I met with Christine, our doula, I knew before she even left my house that she was my doula. She was there for me from 10 weeks on. She quieted my doubts and fears and was there for me every step of the way. I had doubts, and there were moments that I was afraid of what could happen. I silenced the doubts, and I knew if I was going to do it, then I needed to mentally be in it 100%. I took a birth class with Christine, and we decided to have a natural birth. I knew moving around as much as possible would better my chances for a successful VBAC.


TBC..

No comments:

Post a Comment